Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone is staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I had a meeting with an outside dissertation reader, started to edit a chapter (that needs way more work than I thought it would), and went to afternoon tea with a friend for a long overdue day of fanciness! Daily summaries below!
April 21, 2023
- Digestive system not mad at me today! Huzzah!
- Had a meeting with an outside dissertation reader, and I have to fix up a chapter to send to him.
- Oof, this chapter needs more work than I thought.
- The insurance agent stopped by for an inspection, and the shower repairs should be covered! Huzzah!
- Worked out with an SCI trainer!
- Was feeling like I needed to get work done on this chapter edit, and didn’t want to deal with washing dishes, so I treated myself to dinner. It was so nice to people watch while the weather was lovely, have a drink, and eat noms.
- Got back from dinner and I’m back on my editing train.
- Dang, this chapter REALLY needs work. What was I even saying back then? Good grief, I gave this to my advisor?
- Wordle: In six!
- Currently feeling: Despite my rambles about this chapter edit, I’m so glad I’m back to working on dissertation things. And today was really lovely.
- Currently looping: I’m in a weird mood and listening to Taylor Swift’s “Anti-Hero” on repeat? Why is this so catchy?
April 22, 2023
- Did the FES cycle.
- Met one of my friends for afternoon tea at a fancy department store, and it was lovely [and the featured picture!]! Honestly, my only complaint was that there wasn’t enough clotted cream. But other than that, sandwiches were awesome, scones were warm, jams were jamming, and there wasn’t an overwhelming amount of tiny pastries (which, I’ve learned, is possible). And I felt like I could eat food a few hours later, which is ideal (some afternoon teas leave you bloated and full of sugar). 10/10 would go back.
- We also did some browsing on the beauty floor, and I’m amazed that I only bought one item. Because I needed to replace my 2+ year-old lipstick (I freaking love that shade, though).
- Went back to my apartment, and my boyfriend and I watched the Rangers-Devils hockey game. He roots for NJ, because he’s from NJ, and they don’t have too many professional sports teams.
- BLASTED OVERTIME NJ GOAL.
- I had to play Bon Jovi on my phone in faux celebration of Jersey’s win. Le sigh.
- Currently feeling: Fancy afternoon tea is awesome, especially with a good friend =)
- Currently looping: TayTay.
April 23, 2023
- Lazy Sunday!
- Watched another episode of “The Dropout” and I know I keep saying this, but that Theranos lady is just absurd.
- My boyfriend and I went outside so he could go pants shopping. The sales associate thought we were married. Glad to know that’s our vibe.
- Dang, the Mets almost had that one.
- Currently feeling: I’ve been subjecting my boyfriend to a lot of sports this weekend. I do not intend to stop.
- Currently looping: Not much music today.
April 24, 2023
- A wheelchair technician was supposed to stop by this afternoon to check out my wheelchair, but instead they called at 9:30am like, “I’m fifteen minutes away!” I was not prepared, so my boyfriend had to let the tech in and explain what needed to be repaired on my chair.
- My boyfriend is awesome.
- So many phone calls and emails.
- Oh, and Medicare is holding my catheters hostage, so that’s going to be fun to clear up today.
- Got a bid from a contractor, and wow, it’s expensive to repair a bathroom.
- Worked out with an SCI trainer! Was handling phone calls throughout so that I can get my catheters shipped out (because, um, I need those).
- Yay, the catheters shipped out!
- But I’m going to follow up with my primary doctor to make sure all the paperwork got sent out. Just in case.
- I may have to move my PT equipment to a hotel while my bathroom is being repaired.
- But also, still no start date for repairs yet. Because tiles.
- Dang, the Rangers looked so defeated at the end of that game.
- Currently feeling: Getting things done, but dang, so many phone calls.
- Currently looping: Mostly just catching up on podcasts today.
April 25, 2023
- It’s the perfect date, everyone!
- Went to Push to Walk! I am so tired.
- Got bubble tea, because of course.
- Figuring out hotels and stuff is hard.
- Maybe I should just renovate certain parts of my bathroom while stuff is getting fixed. Like, maybe I should put up some shelves if the contractor has time.
- Finally got a new parking permit! Huzzah!
- Omg, this is hilarious and I love Daniel Vogelbach and Buck Showalter even more.
- Too bad the Mets lost, though.
- Currently feeling: On the one hand, got a lot done, but also, there’s still so much to do.
- Currently looping: My Spotify DJ gave me bluegrass followed by early and mid 2000s pop followed by metal, so I’m a fan.
April 26, 2023
- Got up at 6:15am so I could get to a 9:30am appointment at the wheelchair clinic.
- Omg, these wheels, somehow a bearing fell off one axle and ended up on the other axle, so that’s why the wheels weren’t staying in the new chair.
- So now the chair is fixed. And the OTs who ran the clinic apologized for my having to go over there, because the technician should’ve spotted this on Monday.
- Went back to my apartment and split a delightful pastry with my mother. Also spent that time calling up my catheter supply company and my doctor’s office to get a note, so that Medicare knows that I catheterize nine times a day. Because this is apparently information that they need in note form, even though it’s already on the prescription. Seriously, why would I lie about how often I catheterize? This gal needs her daily 64+ ounces of water.
- Then went for a long overdue facial. My skin is much less angry with me now.
- Worked out with an SCI trainer, and oof, I am tired.
- That’s two “Jeopardy!” games in a row where the winner was the person who bet the least on Final Jeopardy (because everyone got it wrong).
- Dang, Mets, you gotta get it together.
- Wordle: In three!
- Currently feeling: So sleepy, but yay for getting the chair fixed!
- Currently looping: A bit of Regina Spektor.
April 27, 2023
- Did the FES cycle.
- Finally had time this week to edit this chapter! Yeah, I need to clean up the language. I’m not buying my own argument, and there are spots that could definitely use more elaboration.
- KAMELOT IS TOURING IN THE US THIS SUMMER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
- SO EXCITED FOR SYMPHONIC METAL THIS SUMMER.
- Dang, that was an exciting (yet also frustrating?) Mets game. But also, that was a sad Rangers game. Hope they can get it together for game six.
- I was watching the Mets game while video chatting with my boyfriend, and he was asking questions about how hits are scored (like, is it still called a single if other people on base are moving?), and it was one of those moments when I realized that baseball is not that straightforward. (Side note if anyone is curious, it’s scored a single if the hitter hits the ball and advances to first, and no one else on base gets thrown out.)
- Wordle: In three!
- Currently feeling: So happy to actually get work done on the dissertation.
- Currently looping: KAMELOT!
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, stay sane, and maybe take some time for afternoon tea if that’s your thing!