Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone is staying as safe and sane as possible. You may have noticed that the Self-Isolation Diaries have ended, because I went on a trip with my boyfriend to DC! Now that we’ve taken a trip for fun, I think “self-isolation” is a bit inaccurate (well, my sister told me it was inaccurate, and she’s right). This week, I went down to DC with my boyfriend, watched a ton of US Open coverage, and was part of a book that came out this week. Daily summaries below!
August 26, 2022
- On the road to DC!
- And by on the road, I mean Amtrak. My boyfriend wins MVP for dragging both luggages while holding a tote bag full of catheters.
- And also for pushing me up annoyingly steep curb cuts.
- Aaand the hotel gave my ADA room away to a guest who was “extending their stay.”
- I literally booked this hotel because they have an awesome ADA-compliant room.
- They will be hearing an angry email from me. Seriously.
- But anyway, my boyfriend and I settled in at a different hotel, and then ate a bunch of Indian food, which was awesome.
- We ate too much.
- <passed out in hotel room>
- Wordle: Whoops?
- Currently feeling: First couple’s trip! Now for my boyfriend to learn how effing difficult it is to travel with someone who uses a wheelchair. Yay?
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “Song Up in Her Head” album.
August 27, 2022
- Introduced my boyfriend to one of my blockmates who lives in DC! And then we got gelato. Mmm…gelato.
- Then my boyfriend and I went to a Nationals game. They were playing the Reds. The Nats were so bad that they made the Reds look good.
- Like, for reals, the Nationals’ stadium was advertising tickets starting at $9. Of course, my boyfriend joked every time the Nats got a hit that the new baseline game value was $10, and whenever they ended the inning without capitalizing on a run scoring opportunity, he’d joke that tickets were now back to their original base value.
- He’s delightful.
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: We generally like watching baseball on television. Well, I love it, and my boyfriend is mildly amused by Buck Showalter’s curmudgeonly behavior. I wish I could’ve brought him to a more entertaining game.
- Currently looping: The sounds of mediocre Nationals ball.
August 28, 2022
- It’s explore DC and do touristy things day!
- Except omg, it’s so hot outside.
- “Feels like 96 degrees”?!
- We wandered around near the White House South Lawn and trekked down near the African American History Museum, where we met up with my uncle, aunt, and cousins. It was great to see everyone, although it was very hot outside and I’m glad we eventually found some shade.
- My boyfriend and I went to a restaurant recommended by one of my blockmates, and it was awesome.
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: Very tired from wheeling around DC, but it’s been lovely!
- Currently looping: The sounds of DC traffic as we wandered about?
August 29, 2022
- Scrambled to leave the hotel in time to catch our train.
- Our train was delayed, but I think we would’ve made it anyway.
- The Amtrak heading down to DC was fine. Someone put a dirty diaper in the accessible restroom’s trash bin in this one however, and omg, it smells awful.
- I had to go in there and catheterize though. I thought I was going to faint from the smell.
- Am I being overdramatic? Maybe. But the wheelchair accessible area is literally next to the bathroom entrance, so, maybe don’t judge me for double-masking.
- My boyfriend continues to be the MVP by walking me back to my apartment with my luggage and again helping me with weird ass cub cuts.
- He also did a bunch of bathroom transfers at the hotel, because that’s what happens when I travel and can’t bring my commode/shower wheelchair.
- Seriously, he’s delightful.
- Cooked some noodles because I’ve been missing semi-homemade food.
- YEAH, SERENA WILLIAMS!!
- Watched the latest “House of the Dragon” episode. I feel like I might just watch this show because I like fantasy world-building?
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: If I told myself a year ago that I’d meet someone who didn’t mind all the hassles that came with traveling with me, I’d have laughed in my own face.
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “Song Up in Her Head” album. It’s cute.
August 30, 2022
- Did the FES cycle.
- Had to send some emails and make some returns.
- So that book I’m in came out today. Again, so weird to have my life’s low points in a book.
- My mother’s here! She brought pizza from Brooklyn.
- My sister: “Can we really still call your entries self isolation diaries? You have a boyfriend and you’re going on trips lol”
- This is true. Alrighty, we’re now just labeling each entry by the week.
- Harsh vocal lesson! Finally got some decent distortion!
- Alas, Mets. ‘Twas a close game.
- Huzzah for US Open coverage!
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Feels so weird to stop referring to these as “self-isolation diaries,” because it’s been 128 weeks (896 days) in total prior to this week. It’s nice to get outside more, and I suppose my self-imposed isolation is now the result of my own homebodying tendencies, and the hermiting required to write a dissertation.
- Currently looping: You know how much I love listening to Sarah Jarosz live recordings.
August 31, 2022
- Did some dissertation reading! Huzzah!
- Went grocery shopping! It was so nice outside!
- So today was an amazing day for sports. Serena Williams is incredible. I felt so bad for her opponent, though, because the crowd was against her from the start. And she played really well given the hostile playing environment! But also, dang, Serena looks great.
- Also, Brandon Nimmo’s catch, holy cow.
- Omg, Diaz being played in by Timmy Trumpet. Can we have him come back for the playoffs?
- Oh, Buck Showalter. He could teach courses on how to be the most concise ever.
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: I love sports. Sure, the news in the world is perpetually depressing, but hey, sports!
- Currently looping: Honestly, I’ve rewatched Brandon Nimmo’s catch like, nearly ten times by now. It’s incredible.
September 1, 2022
- Did the FES cycle. Caught up on the “Harley Quinn” animated series.
- My mother’s here!
- So many Labor Day sales. Why yes, I am stocking up on shorts for next summer.
- And maybe also bras.
- What’s a bodysuit? Can I cath in one?
- Yay, Mets! This whole series felt like it belonged in the playoffs.
- Yay, Nadal!
- Wordle: In six!
- Currently feeling: My mother: “It’s almost 1AM!” Yes, that’s how I feel in my apartment every day. I should probably put a clock up on the wall or something.
- Currently looping: Still loving Timmy Trumpet playing to announce Edwin Diaz.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, get your booster/flu shot, and wahoo, this is no longer a diary for self-isolation!