Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone is staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I watched a bunch of tennis, trudged through an important book for my dissertation, and went to a live taping of “The Daily Show”!
September 2, 2022
- Went to Push to Walk for the first time in a month. Got a bit back into the swing of things.
- Got some boba with my mother afterwards, because that’s what we do.
- Watched possibly Serena Williams’ last US Open match. She put everything out there, and dang, I’m tearing up. What a legend.
- Also kept up with the Mets game, but they were playing the Nats, so Serena Williams’ match took priority.
- Wordle: In three!
- Currently feeling: So many sports. So full of sports feelings. Why are all the sports that I care about happening in Queens right now?
- Currently looping: Beyoncé’s “I Was Here.” ESPN started playing it over Serena Williams’ exit and dang, good song choice.
September 3, 2022
- Worked out!
- Went to my boyfriend’s family’s house for a barbecue. Got to meet more members of his family. Is it weird that I felt more comfortable playing with the kids than interacting with the adults? I might just be a big kid, who knows?
- Also, his sister baked the most amazing lavender cake.
- It’s so good, omg. And she sent us home with like, four servings.
- Took the PATH there and back. Kind of getting more used to it.
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: It was nice to spend more time with my boyfriend’s family.
- Currently looping: The sounds of the PATH train?
September 4, 2022
- My boyfriend ate half of the lavender cake that his sister sent us home with. I need to eat my half quickly, or it will vanish.
- <munch munch munch>
- Watched a MotoGo event with my boyfriend because he likes F1, so this was the next closest thing on television?
- Dang, these guys are ridiculous.
- Wow, the Mets are really sad today.
- Go, Coco Gauff!
- Am trying to figure out how to order photos online. Trying one site and seeing how it goes. Will report on photo quality and site later.
- Started watching “Rings of Power” and dang, I’m excited. Love seeing Galadriel be a badass. This is also the first time I’ve watched a new show with my boyfriend, and we’ve watched it around the same time that other people are watching it. Milestone!
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: I kind of want more lavender cake.
- Currently looping: The sounds of motorcycles going ridiculously fast around a strangely designed track?
September 5, 2022
- Happy Labor Day! There are labor protests going down the block, so in case you didn’t know it was Labor Day, there you go.
- Worked out!
- Boo, the Mets game got postponed. Although maybe they need an extra day to get back into fighting shape.
- Got a facial! Managed to scramble back home before the rain started, so I count that as a win.
- Caught up on “House of the Dragon.” It’s so weird seeing Matt Smith be Daemon Targaryen.
- Finally did some dissertation research. Just one more chapter to go before I can go into revision mode (and also intro- and conclusion-writing mode). Can’t dilly dally now.
- I also need to get back into music things. Been dilly dallying on that. And I’m several months late on a cover that my bestie requested.
- Oh snap, Nadal! But Tiafoe played an incredible match.
- I really need to order new front castors for my chair.
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: To stay up late to watch tennis matches, or to go to bed at a semi-reasonable hour?
- Currently looping: My VALentine playlist.
September 6, 2022
- Went to Push to Walk!
- Emailed a wheelchair dealer about getting new parts for my chair. It’s feeling more difficult to wheel, which probably means that I need to replace my front castors and bearings.
- My mother and I got takeout and watched a sad Mets game.
- Tried to clean my tea kettle, but the way to clean an electric kettle (that’s recommended in my tea kettle’s manual) is with vinegar. And now my kettle smells like vinegar.
- <rinses kettle with water profusely>
- Still smells like vinegar. GAH.
- Did some laundry.
- At least the vinegar smell in my kettle is dissipating. But still, I can smell some faint vinegar. Alas.
- Aw, sad to see Coco Gauff out in the quarterfinals.
- Did some dissertation research! Again, really trying to get back on track here.
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Stayed up too late to watch tennis last night and felt very yawn-y today. Will attempt to go to bed a smidge earlier tonight (while also watching tennis because tennis is addictive).
- Currently looping: The sounds of tennis balls being hit when the roof is closed. There’s a slight sound difference.
September 7, 2022
- Tidied up a bit, although my apartment is still a mess. Also caught up on “She-Hulk” while I ate breakfast. Amazing show. Amazing twerking post-credit scene.
- My kettle no longer smells like vinegar! Success!
- Did some dissertation reading! Trudging through this book slowly, but hey, it’s an important secondary source, so, a-trudging I shall go.
- So much baseball today! The Mets swept their double header in commanding fashion, so that was a bit of a sigh of relief.
- And also there’s tennis! Dang, this Alcaraz match is intense.
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Even if I spend an hour on research per day, at least that’s something. And typically if I’m researching when baseball’s on, the game is on in the background and I’m more focused on my research. Obviously. Baseball’s one of those sports you can keep on and then look up whenever the announcers get really excited.
- Currently looping: Foo Fighters performing “My Hero” with Shane Hawkins on drums. It’s kind of impossible to watch this without crying. My friend sent it to me, and dang, I was not prepared for the beauty of this performance.
September 8, 2022
- Did the FES cycle.
- Went to see a live taping of “The Daily Show” with my mother and one of the #triotime gals!
- Getting there was a major pain, because there was so much traffic. SO MUCH TRAFFIC.
- But once we got there, we sat like, IN THE FRONT. I could’ve tackled Trevor Noah, I was basically that close.
- But why would I tackle Trevor Noah? He’s a national treasure.
- And now my mother is baking blueberry lemon bread, because we’re very on brand.
- Wordle: In five!
- Currently feeling: Oh my gosh, it was SO MUCH FUN to watch “The Daily Show.” Marty Walsh (Secretary of Labor, former Mayor of Boston) was the guest, and I really enjoyed their conversation on, well, labor. I got the tickets through someone at Push to Walk who works on the show, and dang, his workplace is awesome.
- Currently looping: Whatever music they were playing at “The Daily Show” studio.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, wear a mask, and watch tennis!