Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I got some dissertation writing done, continued to manage this wound, and frequently wondered if anything I wrote for said dissertation chapter made any sense. Daily summaries below!
Day Seven Hundred and Fifteen (2/25/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Twenty-Nine of Thirty-Nine. So tired. Got my period last night.
- Got out of bed late.
- This chapter is…really not great. Turns out when you try to write about gender history, most of it is a lot of me rambling about stuff I’m not that familiar with. Gah.
- Folks, I do not have time to translate the Vita Sadalbergae right now. Like, not all of it. Are there any Merovingian female saints’ lives that have been translated into English already?
- Ooh, I found one!
- Phoneday =)
- Wordle: Five guesses, but wtf, New York Times?
- Currently feeling: You know when you start a chapter and you think you have a plan, and then have to throw out the plan and you wonder why on earth you spent all that time planning? Yeah, that.
- Currently looping: Caitlin Houlahan’s acoustic rendition of Sara Bareilles’ “When He Sees Me.” The anxiety in the song can’t be tampered with by the acoustic arrangement, haha.
Day Seven Hundred and Sixteen (2/26/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Thirty of Thirty-Nine. We’re in the endgame now. But also, period cramps >.<
- Today should’ve been the first day of spring training. Alas. <sobs and shakes fist angrily at MLB owners>
- Phone call with the bestie!
- Dang, there’s a lot of fighting in this Rangers-Penguins game.
- Fixed up some of the introductory part of this chapter (honestly, it’s difficult to know how you want to frame things until you type them out). Also, why did I think there was a ton written on early medieval peasant women? There isn’t. I combed through everything, and Princeton’s library catalog is not being very helpful. Also, there’s a book I need that’s in Firestone. Drat.
- Phoneday! =)
- Wordle: In three!
- Currently feeling: Oof, period cramps. But also, I’m glad I’m about a thousand words into this chapter. Makes me feel like it’s kind of going somewhere?
- Currently looping: Clint Mansell’s “Lux Aeterna” from “Requiem For a Dream.” Yes, I was rewatching Karen Chen’s short program from Nationals.
Day Seven Hundred and Seventeen (2/27/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Thirty-One of Thirty-Nine. When you can’t tell where the drainage ends and your period blood begins.
- My boyfriend came over for homebody-ing =)
- “Hey, let’s watch ‘The Conjuring’!”
- Why did I agree to this?
- <avoids looking at screen>
- “Oh God, don’t look here! There’s blood coming out of her mouth!”
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Huzzah for homebody-ing!
- Currently looping: Lots of Halestorm.
Day Seven Hundred and Eighteen (2/28/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Thirty-Two of Thirty-Nine. One week to go.
- Caught up with a friend from my MPhil program! She’s killing it, as expected ❤
- Finally sent an email one month late!
- Phoneday =)
- Wordle: Three guesses!
- Currently feeling: Really, really tired. And my arms are ridiculously sore.
- Currently looping: My schmaltzy “VALentine” playlist.
Day Seven Hundred and Nineteen (3/1/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Thirty-Three of Thirty-Nine. The drainage is no longer mixing with period blood, so now I can see that it’s still happening, but to a lesser degree than, say, a week ago.
- Friendly note to people who cite the Bible in their scholarship: GET THE CITATION RIGHT. Otherwise, I have to hunt down the correct passage, and then call out your typo in a footnote.
- Friendly note to people who cite the proceedings of a church council: WRITE A PROPER CITATION, AND NOT “cf. Gregory of Tours.” I DON’T WANT GREGORY’S SUMMARY. I WANT THE LATIN PASSAGE FROM THE COUNCIL YOU’RE CITING.
- My mother got me a matcha latte! ^_^
- Phoneday is everyday =)
- My bestie stopped by!
- Wordle: Five guesses!
- Currently feeling: Late night, but it was wonderful to catch up with my bestie! And holy cow, I’m like, 20% of the way through this chapter draft (well, sort of? At this point I’m just writing and seeing where the academic train of thought takes me) ^_^
- Currently looping: My VALentine playlist!
Day Seven Hundred and Twenty (3/2/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Thirty-Four of Thirty-Nine. Drainage, why…?
- Did some dissertationing! About 25-30% of the way through this draft? Still feel like there’s more to go, so that’s good.
- My boyfriend’s here! We watched “Jeopardy!” and had dinner.
- Wordle: Haven’t guessed yet.
- Currently feeling: Me: “I would never date a guy from Jersey.” Also me: “Okay, sure, yeah, Jersey’s like right there, we’re practically in the same state.”
- Currently looping: My karaoke playlist on Spotify.
Day Seven Hundred and Twenty-One (3/3/22)
- Post-Op Countdown: Day Thirty-Five of Thirty-Nine. Drainage.
- The spring menu at the bakery around the corner from my apartment includes a pistachio rice pudding and I am absolutely here for it.
- Dissertationing! Just chugging along wondering if any of this makes sense.
- Wordle: Four guesses!
- Currently feeling: So very sleepy. Going to try to go to bed earlier.
- Currently looping: The “Outlander: Season One” OST from Bear McCreary.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, eat something that brings you joy (like pistachio rice pudding), and fine, laugh at my interest in a Jersey boy (after years of me mercilessly mocking the state).