Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I watched hella Olympics trials coverage (but it’s Allyson Felix, so how could I not?), bought shorts, and did planks for the first time in over a year! Daily summaries below!
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Three (6/18/21)
- Went outside for a matcha latte! Drank it as I watched the latest episodes of “The Bad Batch” and “Loki.” Great shows. Just, wow.
- Had a lot of phone calls to take care of, so I handled that.
- Heard about the “30 Day Dating Challenge,” which requires you to do five things: 1. Delete dating apps (already done); 2. Go outside three times a week (oh dang); 3. Be intentional and observant while outside (no beelines to the grocery store, which I do basically all the time); 4. Date Yourself once a week (I already do that? Sort of?); and 5. Give five compliments per week.
- Was then inspired to go outside! I chatted with a busker near my apartment, complimented a woman’s shoes (okay, probably not the intention for the challenge to compliment someone of the same sex if you’re hetero, but still!), and tried to make flirty eye contact with a cute guy near the park. Baby steps.
- I saw three musicians busking while I was out (two of them looked like brothers), and they all had signs with their IG, Venmo, and Cashapp handles. So, it looks like I need to make a sign.
- Called my sister to be like, “I WENT OUTSIDE!” Then started drinking and drunk texted some people. I’m an introvert, okay?
- Guitar and vocal practice. My voice is predictably not as strong as it could’ve been because I did not practice these past three days.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 17.
- Total Times Outside: Eighty and Eighty-One!
- Currently feeling: Not expecting anything from this 30 day dating challenge (henceforth 30DDC…which looks like a bra size, but whatever) apart from my own reintegration into society. And maybe I’ll make some friends!
- Currently looping: Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now.”
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Four (6/19/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Finished watching “Little Voice.” Feeling so inspired to keep writing.
- My bestie’s here! We got takeout and watched “Willow.” She had been hyping it up for some time, and the hype was absolutely worth it.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 12.
- Currently feeling: It’s going to be a late night, but it was worth it to catch up with my bestie and watch a classic.
- Currently looping: Dio’s “Holy Diver.”
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Five (6/20/21)
- Happy Father’s Day! Called my father, who wondered why I was calling.
- Recorded parts for a cover. May have to rerecord the flute part, but we shall see.
- Thought about going outside, but it seemed a bit hot and humid, so I did not.
- Watched the Olympic Track and Field trials. First, YES, FINALLY, PARALYMPIC COVERAGE.
- SECOND: ALLYSON FELIX IS GOING TO HER FIFTH OLYMPICS. FIFTH. WE ARE ALL WITNESSES TO THE QUEEN OF THE TRACK. Not gonna lie, the last 200m of the 400m finals, I was shouting, “YOU GOT THIS! YOU GOT THIS!”
- Then I rewatched her London 2012 200m gold medal video and cried a little. For those who don’t know, and that’s probably most of you, when I was first injured, Allyson Felix visited me in the hospital. This was in 2008, months before the Beijing Olympics. She had no idea who I was (just that I was a high school track athlete who had sustained a spinal cord injury), and my blood pressure was too low to remember who she was (for reals, I nearly fainted). But I’ve been following her career ever since, and she’s truly one of the greatest athletes of all time.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 9.
- Currently feeling: Still so happy for Allyson Felix. So happy. She has gone through so much with her pregnancy, the Nike BS she was dealing with as a result of her pregnancy, getting back to competing at an elite level, and oh, she’s 35 years old. 35 years old and going to the Olympics to compete in a sprinting event. I just, I am so overwhelmed with how amazing she is. Is someone cutting onions in here? I’m not crying, you’re crying. <sobs quietly>
- Currently looping: Sara Bareilles’ “Ghost Light.” The entire “Little Voice” series has convinced me to start carrying a notebook to record random snippets of lyrics.
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Six (6/21/21)
- Did the FES cycle.
- My mother’s here! She brought chocolate soufflé batter.
- So. Much. Soufflé.
- My oven might get fixed next week, at long last!
- I had this sudden motivation to buy shorts. My bestie noted that my leg muscles are kind of buff (re: solid muscle), and I haven’t worn shorts outside since 2007 (true story). I’ve just been really self-conscious about all the acupuncture bruising on my legs (also they’re hella pale). Summer goal: wear shorts outside (after finding a pair or two of shorts that fit).
- Watched more Olympics trials. Along with some Mets double-header action. #sportsoverload #bestproblemever
- Finally transferred music onto my mother’s phone! She had been asking me to do it for a while, but last time I did something like that, my Apple ID got synced with her phone and she started getting all my phone calls and text messages. This time, I think I’ve avoided that issue.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 12.
- Currently feeling: That feeling when you realize you haven’t worn shorts outside in the past fourteen years. Let’s not forget that I have temperature regulation issues, so I’ve been wearing leggings in the summer. So much of that stemmed from insecurities about my own appearance. Really hoping I can find some shorts with a flattering fit.
- Currently looping: Mandy Moore’s “Candy.” Iconic.
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Seven (6/22/21)
- Went to Push to Walk! Had a couple of plank buddies, which was an unexpected surprise ^_^
- My mother and I picked up some dumplings on the drive back to my apartment.
- So glad other people are noticing how intense Disney’s “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” is.
- Why are the Mets pitchers all getting injured? WHY? WE NEED YOU.
- Recorded a keyboard part for this week’s cover. Then did some mixing. Might have to tinker with a couple of things in the morning, but I’m liking it so far.
- Total times outside: Eighty-two!
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 3
- Currently feeling: Hey, another late night. How did that happen? Oh, that’s right, because I don’t have a Time Turner. Also, how many people would get Time Turners just so they could continue sleeping? It just occurred to me that someone could use a Time Turner to sleep in another room (that way they don’t run into a past self), get that extra three hours of sleep, and then get to work. I don’t think that’s how I’d use it, but hey, maybe someone would.
- Currently looping: Nightwish’s “The Islander” live. Marco shall be missed, but I shall be hopeful for his return.
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Eight (6/23/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Am three episodes behind on “Legends of Tomorrow” (well, now two episodes behind). What show combines a body swap and a Disney princess-esque musical number? UM. THIS ONE. CAUSE IT’S AWESOME.
- Recorded the video for this week’s cover.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 14
- Currently feeling: You know how I seemed so excited to do more original songwriting? Well, I’m trying, given what random holes appear in my schedule, and I don’t have much to show for it. Also most of it’s really bad. <headdesk> Again, I’d be so much better at this if I actually tried doing this earlier in life, because then I could build on experience. But no, I started late and am trying to make up as much ground as I can, and am harshly judging everything I do based on some imaginary version of myself that has her act together. Is that unhealthy? Probably, but my songs still sound like a thirteen-year-old wrote them, and something needs to be done about that. No, I do not want any of your suggestions. Those who have suggestions for me can do me a favor and kindly stop reading my blog, please and thank you. #nounsolicitedadviceplease
- Currently looping: Live performance of Sarah McLachlan’s “Possession.” YouTube’s algorithm knew that this was exactly the song I wanted to hear even before I knew I wanted to hear it. Gosh, what a throwback.
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Nine (6/24/21)
- Posted my cover of Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well.” Best. T-Swift. Song.
- Therapy! The glee of purchasing shorts.
- Music lesson! Excited for future in-person collabing! It’s going to happen eventually soon! (Side note: if “Eventually Soon” isn’t someone’s album title, it should be.)
- Met up with a college friend I hadn’t seen since, well, college. ‘Twas a delightful catch-up ^_^
- Total Times Outside: Eighty-Three!
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 1. I will have to make up for it tomorrow.
- Currently feeling: Going to bed super late tonight, but the college catch up was so worth it.
- Currently looping: “El Tango de Roxanne” from “Moulin Rouge!” Amazing musical number.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, get vaccinated, and enjoy the summer weather!