Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I did my first ever performance in public, did my first ever YouTube collaboration, and voted early! Daily summaries below! Also, this is my 100th blog post! Wahoo!
Day Four Hundred and Fifty-Six (6/11/21)
- Renewed all of my library books. Now I don’t have to worry about them again until June 2022. #yaytechnology
- My mother and I went out for pasta! ‘Twas delightful.
- We then went furniture shopping. I really need a pantry. Or a media console that I can turn into a pantry. I just need somewhere to put all my boxes of snacks/packages of pasta.
- Later attempted to play through my setlist. Began to panic with all the errors I was committing.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 2
- Total Times Outside: Seventy-Five!
- Currently feeling: Nervous. Nauseated. Playing in front of some of my friends tomorrow in an area where total strangers are also meant to hear me can be somewhat nerve-wracking. I don’t expect anyone will heckle me, or even care to notice me. But I still fear I’ll make a total fool out of myself. Strangers won’t care, but I will.
- Currently looping: Sara Jarosz’s “Across the Canyon.”
Day Four Hundred and Fifty-Seven (6/12/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Watched more “Little Voice” and felt even more like I needed to work on original material.
- My #triotime friends and bestie joined me in the park for my first ever live performance outdoors! The setlist was five covers and two originals, and I repeated a cover after one of my friends asked for it as an encore (and she is not the sort of person you say no to). One dog really enjoyed my performance, which was delightful =) And one random guy sat on a nearby bench for five out of the seven songs! #isthiswhatmakingitfeelslike
- You can see some of my performance on my IG. (Which you should totally be following.)
- Went for a celebratory margarita with one of my friends afterwards.
- Number of videos from other YouTubers watched today: 10
- Total Times Outside: Seventy-Six!
- Currently feeling: I played in public and didn’t embarrass myself! Fifteen points to Hufflepuff! (I’ve been listening to a lot of HP: Binge Mode lately.) I would’ve definitely chickened out if none of my friends came, and they are the best and they’re all getting a shoutout in the acknowledgements section of whatever album I produce in the future. But I also realized that if I want to do this in the future, I need audio amplification equipment. My voice isn’t all that loud.
- Currently looping: Garbage’s life performance of “You Look So Fine” from 1998. Probably their best performance of this song on the internet.
Day Four Hundred and Fifty-Eight (6/13/21)
- Caught up on “The Bad Batch.” Really, a lovely show for those who also liked “Clone Wars” and “Rebels.”
- Recorded some flute for a collaboration that’s going up later this week.
- Posted a video from yesterday’s set!
- Was all set to go outside to get a matcha latte, but then it started to rain. Rats. I did exit my building, so I guess I was technically outside? I’ll count it.
- Turned on the Mets game just as their bullpen gave up a grand slam. Le sigh.
- Did some vocal exercises and started preparing for my next park visit setlist. My acting manager is looking into permits for audio amplification equipment. It’s happening.
- “Coco” was on, so I watched it, and then I ugly cried like I always do at the end. Easily Pixar Top Five. (The rest, in no particular order, “Up,” “Ratatouille,” “Toy Story,” and “The Incredibles”)
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 17.
- Total Times Outside: Seventy-Seven!
- Currently feeling: Going to bed late again.
- Currently looping: “Coming Back to You” from the “Little Voice” soundtrack. “I’m facing all of my fears / I’ve lined them up and wonder how I’ve been with them for years” Sara Bareilles’ lyrics are just, wow, how many bad songs do I have to write before I get to that level?
Day Four Hundred and Fifty-Nine (6/14/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Watched more “Little Voice.” I’m halfway through the lone season.
- Music lesson! There might be a beatboxing and vocal collaboration in the future.
- More work on songwriting and vocal exercises. I wrote a song that was so depressing that I changed it into a pep talk.
- And one of the Mets’ struggling pitchers had a successful outing! Huzzah!
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 21. Many of those were leftover from yesterday.
- Currently feeling: Songwriting is hard. It’s a skill that requires constant practice (just like any sort of writing), but honestly, the last time I tried writing anything that rhymed with this much regularity, I was twelve, and I was trying to channel my inner Alanis Morissette. It did not go well. This is a lot more trial and error, and it’s hard to figure out things like, “What do I want this song to say?” I’ll get there. It’s just going to take time.
- Currently looping: Garbage’s “Wolves.” That’s right, there’s new Garbage! The ‘90s are coming back! Well, musically anyway.
Day Four Hundred and Sixty (6/15/21)
- Went to Push to Walk! Oof, are my hip flexors tight. And I’m going to be feeling sore in the morning.
- Went over the NYC ballot with my mother. And then looked up the websites of a bunch of different candidates to see if there was anything concrete. Yes, my mother and I are THOSE people who are like, “Who is this person?” Because television ads tell me nothing.
- I think the YouTube collaboration video is all done!
- My sister sent me a video of my niece saying she wants to hear me sing. I have a fan!
- Total number of YouTube videos watched: 4. There are others on my “watch later” list, but I’ll save them for tomorrow.
- Currently feeling: I should probably start outlining chapter three. Or something. That way when my advisor does get back to me, I’m not completely caught off guard. But also, music things. #teamtimeturner
- Currently looping: The cover of “Valerie” from “Little Voice.” Reminds me of how this guy in college used to sing it every time I entered a room.
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-One (6/16/21)
- Had an early Father’s Day lunch with my parents!
- Went to go vote early with my parents. So happy for ranked choice voting. I used to vote for who I thought would be best for the job, but now I can rank a more popular candidate right after them (because the most qualified person usually doesn’t win and so my vote was often worthless…le sigh).
- My mother and I picked up some ice cream on the way back to my apartment, like we used to do in the before times. Strawberry + chocolate + mango ice cream is an amazing combination.
- Got to chat with my sister briefly!
- Total number of videos watched from other YouTubers: 6.
- Currently feeling: I went to bed a bit after midnight last night and was feeling so proud of myself. This will not happen tonight. Really need to plan this out better.
- Currently looping: Sara Bareilles’ “Not Alone.”
Day Four Hundred and Sixty-Two (6/17/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Watched another episode of “Little Voice.”
- Posted a collaboration I did with another YouTuber, covering John Denver’s “Garden Song.”
- FaceTimed with my sister!
- Writing workshop!
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 7 (8 if you count the collab video)
- Currently feeling: Today was PACKED. Definitely going to bed late.
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “Take Me Back.” She performed it on “Little Voice” and I was like, “IS THAT SARAH JAROSZ?!” So of course I found the song she performed and I cannot stop listening to it.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, get vaccinated, and go enjoy the great outdoors!