Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone is staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I celebrated the holidays with my family (including my sister and her family!), got to experience NYC’s coldest Christmas in…basically my lifetime(?), and caught the flu. Daily summaries below!
December 23, 2022
- Had a catch-up phone call.
- Emails, emails, emails.
- Got to have some doughnuts with my sister and family, so that was lovely =)
- Watched hella Disney holiday programming with my niece.
- Got Tacombi (well, my sister sent out her husband to pick it up because we’re in an arctic blast zone (although it sounds like the whole country is?) and it’s literally 19 degrees and windy outside).
- Watched “Glass Onion” with my sister and brother-in-law and OMG. I didn’t think it would be as amazing as “Knives Out,” but it is. Stellar casting and plot.
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: Going to bed super late again, but omg, that movie was worth it.
- Currently looping: More holiday tunes!
- Reviewing Resolutions!: Hey, remember last year when I reviewed my New Year’s resolutions from last year to see if I kept them? Yup, doing that again, starting tomorrow! Stay tuned!
December 24, 2022
- Merry Christmas Eve to those who celebrate!
- ‘Twas a daytime filled with watching Disney+ holiday content with my niece, who insists on watching the same things over and over again and demanding that you give her your full attention. And she notices when you’re not giving your full attention, so there’s no fudging that.
- Christmas Eve dinner!
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: Huzzah for introducing my boyfriend to everyone!
- Currently looping: Leon Redbone’s “Christmas Island,” as per tradition.
- Reviewing Resolutions!: 1. Compose an EP (5-7 songs)
Okay, this one completely fell by the wayside. We know there’s “Jackass” and my cover of Radiohead’s “No Surprises,” but that’s not nearly enough for an EP. I will at some point rerecord “It Only Got Worse From There,” and maybe include another cover, and work on one or two more originals. And then we’ll have an EP. My writing buddy got me a songwriting book (thank you again!!), so I intend to put that to good use.
December 25, 2022
- Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!
- ‘Twas a daytime filled with “Paw Patrol,” followed by a dinner with family and friends.
- I am so full.
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: So full. So merry. But also so full.
- Currently looping: More “Christmas Island.”
- Reviewing Resolutions!: 2. Finish Rough Draft of Dissertation Chapters
I am currently drafting the last of (hopefully!) five chapters! I can finish this resolution if I can get it to my advisor by this Friday! My resolution next year will be to write the intro and conclusion, and revise all chapters.
December 26, 2022
- Oh my gosh, this is the worst hangover ever.
- Okay, hangovers don’t come with a 101.5-degree fever. I must’ve caught something.
- This has all the symptoms of a flu. Goshdarnit.
- Called my boyfriend. He came over to make sure I was okay. Because he’s the sweetest.
- Ugh, I’m probably going to give him this flu.
- Currently feeling: Ugh, so tired.
- Currently looping: No music, just tired.
- Reviewing Resolutions!: 3. Get Driver’s License
I haven’t completed this, but I’m on my way! Got my permit and am three lessons in. Definitely going to include this on my resolutions for next year.
December 27, 2022
- Oof, rough night. Somehow my bladder was angry with me. I’m glad my boyfriend stayed over.
- Feeling better than I did yesterday, but still not at 100%.
- I’m just going to watch “Chopped” reruns and drink water.
- Ugh, I just wanted to get my dissertation chapter to my advisor this week. I hope my advisor understands that all of the respiratory viruses are going around right now.
- Omg, this episode of “Chopped” is amazing. One of these chefs literally said, “In a perfect world, nothing would be perfect. And that’s life.” He also seems to be high as a kite. (He was eliminated in the first round.)
- Did some disserationing! Oh gosh, this chapter is such a mess. Like, it does some things it’s supposed to do, but overall, it’s missing some things.
- Currently feeling: Energy is returning, but appetite is still not great. But hey, we’re trending in the right direction, and I’m thankful for that.
- Currently looping: I’m back to my “Wrapped” playlist!
- Reviewing Resolutions!: 4. Submit 5+ Pitches/Auditions/Abstracts
Well, I’ve submitted four things (two pitches, one audition, and I guest taught a class!), so, close! But not quite.
December 28, 2022
- Okay, energy levels feeling better.
- Ugh, I ate too much breakfast and now my stomach hates me.
- Okay, I’ve had well over a liter of water and I don’t have to pee. What is happening?
- Might as well take this time to finish this chapter draft.
- And five hours of no food and one pee break later, this chapter is drafted! Just have to review one more time and then send.
- I am not proud of this chapter, but whatever, my thoughts are on the page, we can work from that.
- Roy Kent says that “The Muppets Christmas Carol” is the greatest movie ever. He may just be my hall pass.
- I wish I could be delighted about finishing a mostly(?) coherent draft of my final(?) dissertation chapter, but instead I’m worrying about my body’s hydration levels.
- I’m finally peeing more normally!
- My mother’s here! She brought chicken soup from home (she had made it for my nephew, who also had the flu).
- That’s the most food I’ve eaten all day. And my stomach isn’t mad at me, so, progress!
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: Dang, today was actually super productive, minus the feeling awful and all that.
- Currently looping: My “Wrapped” playlist, because of course.
- Reviewing Resolutions!: 5. Perform live 5+ times!
Okay, dropped the ball on this. I performed live once for a vocal masterclass that my vocal coach was giving. I mean, if you want to count YouTube karaoke sessions with the #triotime ladies, maybe I’ve done two additional performances, but I’ve really let my guitars gather dust this year. That will not stand in 2023. Because I’ll need something to do while I’m revising my dissertation and all that, and I have a very overdue Carly Rae Jepsen cover for my bestie.
December 29, 2022
- Had energy this morning and an appetite for breakfast. Huzzah!
- Driving lesson. I wore a mask (well, I always do during driving lessons, in case I’m incubating one of the diseases flying around this holiday season). Geez, people in this area are really mean. My instructor rolled down his window at one point to yell at someone who was trying to cut me off: “SHE’S A STUDENT DRIVER! IF YOU GET ANY CLOSER, SHE COULD HIT YOU!”
- Ugh, I’ve had better lessons.
- Still going for another one, though. This license doesn’t earn itself.
- Had a moment where I was like, “Wait! There’s a sentence I wrote in that chapter that needs a footnote!” So I took care of that.
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Bit tired, because of course I overdid it today. I mean, the flu symptoms are basically gone, but I guess my body needs to also chill before going into full Val mode? Who knows?
- Currently looping: Still my “Wrapped” playlist until the new year begins and the Spotify stats reset.
- Reviewing Resolutions!: 6. Resume harsh vocal lessons
I did! And I still am not getting the hang of it. Broadway Disney Princess voice? Nailing it without even trying (okay, I’m trying, but the technique comes way more easily). Harsh vocal scream-o goddess? I’m like, how does the voice work again?
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe (those respiratory viruses are still out there!), wear a mask if there’s an indoor crowd, and have a happy and healthy 2023!