Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as possible. This week, I celebrated the holidays with my parents, started “The Book of Boba Fett,” and reviewed last year’s new year’s resolutions. Daily summaries below!
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Two (12/24/21)
- Went to a nearby bakery to pick up some treats. Came across a flock of pigeons that looked so menacing that I literally wheeled into the street to avoid them.
- The gingerbread men I picked up were worth it. Holy cow, I forgot how much I love gingerbread cookies.
- <happily munches gingerbread cookie while drinking chai>
- Is “The Muppets Christmas Carol” on? Um, yes, duh.
- My parents came over for Christmas Eve dinner! My father and I polished off a bottle of champagne. We had The Beatles “Get Back” documentary on in the background, followed by a family tradition, Leon Redbone’s “Christmas Island.”
- I am so bloated from champagne. This is a good problem to have.
- Total Times Outside: One Hundred and Seventy-Five!
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 8.
- Currently feeling: Very happy and very full. And very glad to celebrate with my east coast family (though I miss my west coast family terribly and want to eat all of the Italian cookies and pastries with them).
- Currently looping: Leon Redbone’s “Toyland.” Reminds me of “The March of the Wooden Soldiers,” which is another family tradition, typically on Thanksgiving, but occasionally also on Christmas.
- Last year, I went through each New Year’s Resolution I made the previous year and reviewed whether or not I actually kept it. That’s right, I’m that person who takes her resolutions seriously. You’re all shocked, I know. So I’m going to do one per day (which is what I think I did last year?). I made seven resolutions last year, so, that’ll be one per day until the 30th, and then I’ll list the new ones on the 31st. My first resolution was: “Start writing dissertation in the fall.” Well, I did that one better. Three chapter drafts, the first of which was written in March. Huzzah!
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Three (12/25/21)
- Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!
- Did the FES cycle. Perused through out-of-state real estate?
- Christmas dinner with my parents and their friends! I am so full of Italian food and chocolate soufflé. So full.
- Oh gosh, there are so many cookies that we didn’t get a chance to eat.
- SO MANY COOKIES.
- Send help.
- Yeah, not gonna lie, I relate hard to this.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 7.
- Currently feeling: I’m just thankful to be spending the holidays with some of my family, especially because NYC is a bit covid chaotic right now.
- Currently looping: Leon Redbone’s “Kitty Cat’s Christmas.” It is a delight of a song.
- New Year’s Resolution Review: Second resolution was “Perform live at least once (once it’s safe).” I serenaded my friends twice in a nearby park, AND I performed at a dear college friend’s wedding! Resolution kept! Huzzah!
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Four (12/26/21)
- Finished catching up with “The Great.” Such an awesome finale. Very much looking forward to season three!
- A friend came over for tea and cookies! Thank goodness I had some help with getting through the cookie supply.
- Finished a bottle of champagne from yesterday while eating leftovers and watching football. ‘Twas lovely. Then chatted with my sister for a bit about the west coast.
- Watched “Encanto.” It’s a reminder that we’re all stressed AF trying to be who we think we’re supposed to be (and who we’re supposed to be is heavily influenced by the struggles of our ancestors), when being who we are is more than enough. Stephanie Beatriz does some amazing voice work here.
- Started season two of “The Witcher.” I don’t know why Netflix does this “drop the whole season at once” thing. I binge without abandon.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 10.
- Currently feeling: I know covid’s raging and all that right now, but I really want to see some more of the country. Well, to be clear, I want to see just a couple of cities around the country. Places I haven’t been to yet, but want to visit.
- Currently looping: My Spotify 2021 Wrapped playlist. I’ll be listening to it all week, probably. I’d love to see your playlists if you’re an avid Spotify user!
- New Year’s Resolution Review: Third resolution was “Write seven original songs worth posting on the YT channel.” Okay, so, that was really ambitious. I refashioned “Jackass” into an acoustic one-take worthy of an NPR Tiny Desk concert submission, then turned it into a full band alt-’90s inspired jam, and posted a revised (albeit still mediocre) “Dear Prince Charming.” Resolution attempted, but hey, better than nothing!
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Five (12/27/21)
- Did the FES cycle.
- Had a doctor’s appointment. Thought it could be virtual. It could not. It was rescheduled.
- My mother’s here! We had chocolate soufflé.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 0.
- Currently feeling: Conflicted about ten different things that are keeping me up past midnight. You know. The usual.
- Currently looping: Still listening to my Spotify 2021 Wrapped playlist.
- New Year’s Resolution Review: Fourth resolution was “Have three pitches accepted/three writing gigs.” I have one article that is somewhat related to my field of study that will be submitted next year, so I’ll count this as a partial win.
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Six (12/28/21)
- So, small confession, I am very strongly contemplating moving out west. The past few days have been spent looking at physical therapy options, real estate, etc. in a handful of cities. Why? NYC (and being disabled, generally speaking) is expensive, Push to Walk is far, and I need to figure out something longterm once Princeton stops paying my bills. And let’s face it, academia is a sinking ship. The odds of me getting a tenure-track position anywhere are slim to none (unless they institute the Academia Hunger Games, in which case I will probably not win, but I will take out a heck of a lot of other scholars before going out in a blaze of glory). After doing deep dives into said cities, I came to the conclusion that while NYC is flawed, these other places just make me sad. I vented to my sister at 1am, and she was all, “What you’re looking for is a city on the east coast.” And I’m already in one. I sound like I’m taking that for granted. I’m not. I just miss my west coast family.
- This isn’t to say I’ve ruled out the west completely. Just, now may not be the best time. But who knows?
- Watched half of season two of “The Witcher.” Not as many “Hmms” from Henry Cavill, which is sad, but at least our favorite bard, Jaskier, has another hit.
- I love that BBC America has a “Doctor Who” marathon every year from Christmas until New Year’s Day.
- Studying for my learner’s permit. If my western city search has taught me anything, it’s that I need to learn how to drive.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 1.
- Currently feeling: When you think you know where an important document is, but can’t seem to find it, and you need to upload it for your learner’s permit. Eep.
- Currently looping: Still listening to my Spotify 2021 Wrapped playlist. I’m not sure these songs were tabulated correctly. There’s a song here that I’ve definitely listened to a bunch, but it’s pretty far down on the list. I think perhaps I listened to it too many times on YouTube first??
- New Year’s Resolution Review: Fifth resolution was “Five dates (when it’s safe).” I don’t think it was ever an “all clear” kind of safe this year. I had one awkward outing at a museum that probably shouldn’t count for anything. And I’m ruling out dating for next year. Unless I need fodder for new songwriting. #icequeen
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Seven (12/29/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Still contemplating the west coast.
- Music hangout! Guitar buddy says “yes” to putting the revamped “No Surprises” cover on the YouTube Channel.
- Finished season two of “The Witcher.” That was fast. I kind of loved it.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 0.
- Currently feeling: I have a lot to sort out in therapy. Mostly the idea of leaving my dream apartment in my favorite city for somewhere else. I’m nuts. That’s the only plausible explanation. I’ve simply gone mad. Or, again, I miss my west coast family.
- Currently looping: You know I’m still listening to my Spotify 2021 Wrapped playlist. Sarah Jarosz and Spiritbox were nowhere to be found on my 2020 list, and so I feel that 2021 is a musical improvement over the previous year.
- New Year’s Resolution Review: Sixth resolution was “Learn to use a curling iron.” Good grief, have I really not set aside time to try? I suppose not. This feels like I could get this in under the wire if I tried.
Day Six Hundred and Fifty-Eight (12/30/21)
- Watched the first episode of “The Book of Boba Fett.” Watching Ming-Na Wen do awesome bounty hunter things makes me so very happy. For those who don’t know, she voiced Mulan in the Disney animated film of the same name.
- Went outside to get some things for New Year’s Day, and then stopped to get a matcha latte. My nearby matcha place finally got a ramp (!!!), but the ramp didn’t work with the outdoor seating tent thing, so I couldn’t actually go into the store. They felt bad and gave me a free latte. ‘Twas awk (but the latte was very nice).
- Passed my permit test! Just have to go to a DMV and get the rest of it sorted. Then, adaptive driving lessons (and praying that I don’t have dormant PTSD from my teenage years)!
- Okay, did anyone know that Ramin Djawadi did an orchestral arrangement of Radiohead’s “No Surprises” for “Westworld”?! SWOONING. I can’t wait to listen to this on repeat next year (that’s right, I wait until the following year to listen to new music because I want it to count towards my next Spotify Wrapped).
- Total Times Outside: One Hundred and Seventy-Six!
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 5.
- Currently feeling: Planning to figure out my resolutions for next year. I’m glad that I kept to most of my resolutions this year (and am laughing at myself for not learning how to use a hair curler. Like, wow, my hair is the perfect length for it and everything).
- Currently looping: Spotify 2021 Wrapped playlist still going strong! But also, realizing that a lot of the music I listen to is depressing and foreboding. Goodness. I should put some happier things on rotation for 2022.
- New Year’s Resolution Review: Seventh resolution was “Present (dissertation) research at a conference/workshop.” I presented a chapter draft at one workshop! Huzzah!
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, get vaccinated/boosted, and have a happy and healthy 2022!