Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as can be. This week, I started watching “The Last of Us,” watched hella figure skating, and drove for less than a minute on the highway (with supervision, of course). Daily summaries below!
January 27, 2023
- Doctor’s appointment!
- My parents are here! They brought pizza.
- Also, I ordered doughnuts. But like, how could I resist a hot chocolate doughnut?
- You know what, this is a super cheat day.
- Worked out with an SCI trainer!
- Was trying to watch “Wheel of Fortune” because the news was sickening, and then the news interrupted the show to play clips of a video of a man being beaten to death by police officers. It’s like the media was salivating at the prospect of interrupting a game show with real life violence. Was his family okay with this video release, or is it standard policy to release police video? I felt like I was violating his family’s privacy by watching him die, so I changed the channel.
- Isabeau Levito! She just GLIDES on the ice. Like, how?
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Adding Memphis to my “You know, I probably don’t need to visit” list.
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “World on the Ground” album.
January 28, 2023
- Did the FES cycle. Started “The Last of Us” and holy crap, only forty minutes in and you’re already punched in the gut.
- Shopped for groceries. I was somehow out of rice.
- My boyfriend’s here! He brought food from the halal cart. So spicy.
- We watched “Anchorman 2” and we don’t understand why it received generally positive reviews from critics. It was kind of all over the place.
- Subjected my boyfriend to the figure skating pairs nationals championship.
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: It was nice to watch a silly movie, even if it was scattered.
- Currently looping: Fiona Apple’s “Fetch the Bolt Cutters.” I hadn’t listened to it in a while, but it’s such a masterpiece.
January 29, 2023
- I’m kind of okay with the fact that the Men’s Free Skate (US National Championships) is the same time as the Eagles game.
- Why yes, I am subjecting my boyfriend to three hours of men’s figure skating.
- And we’re both wondering why it’s called a camel spin.
- And we’re both Jason Brown fans. Dang, that routine was awesome.
- Ordered spicy noodle soup because my boyfriend’s got a cold. I thought it would help his symptoms, but instead he was like, “It’s so spicy I can’t feel my face.” D’oh.
- Caught up with my friend over FaceTime!
- Wordle: Whoops.
- Currently feeling: Dang, figure skating is awesome.
- Currently looping: Not much music today.
January 30, 2023
- So many phone calls to make today.
- So I will watch a bit of “The Last of Us” while I drink my morning tea. Dang, this show is intense.
- I have no idea when this shower repair stuff is going to happen, so planning my life is currently annoying.
- Worked out with an SCI trainer! Felt a little looser today.
- Starting to wonder when my advisor will get back to me about my chapter. And wondering if he hated it. Gah.
- Watched a bit more of “The Last of Us” and was like, “Omg, I need a drink.”
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Going to bed past midnight again. Seriously wondering when I’ll get better at this time management and sleep thing.
- Currently looping: Radiohead’s “OK Computer.” Iconic.
January 31, 2023
- There was so much traffic getting to Push to Walk. SO MUCH TRAFFIC. So I got there an hour late. <grumble grumble>
- Got a workout in, but still.
- Bubble tea! Because of course.
- Okay, I love “The Last of Us.” Episode three, man, it’s just, it’s so beautiful. It’s like all the feels you have from the beginning montage of “Up,” but for an hour. I need a drink. Also, give this show all the Emmys.
- Holy cow, Jason Concepcion had his own Jeopardy! Category!!
- My mother; “Who?”
- Also, she’s making scones, and I am excited.
- Wordle: In five!
- Currently feeling: Wow, January flew by. Also, I love scones.
- Currently looping: No music today, just catching up on “X-Ray Vision.”
February 1, 2023
- Found out that the reason there was so much traffic yesterday was because the president was in town. #thanksalotbiden
- Driving lesson! Went on the highway. Literally got on, stayed in the right lane, and got off at the next exit.
- Doesn’t sound like much, but dang, that was terrifying.
- My driving instructor thought I was 23. Lol.
- Got lunch with my mother, followed by bubble tea!
- Therapy! Cutting back on doing therapy every other week as a check-in.
- Rats, I meant to do vocal exercises, but forgot. And now it’s late.
- I should email my advisor to do like, a check-in meeting even if he hasn’t read my chapter yet.
- Wordle: In four!
- Currently feeling: Dang, I went on the highway. Going to have to learn to get used to the speed. And not panic/have PTSD flashbacks.
- Currently looping: Spiritbox’s “The Mara Effect” (all three parts performed live). Just incredible.
February 2, 2023
- Did the FES cycle.
- Went out to check a hotel’s wheelchair accessible room, and dang, it was SMALL. I think it can work? It’s just, wow, it’s TINY. Admittedly, I don’t stay in too many NYC hotels, but dang, yeah, it’s small.
- Yeah, I might have to stay somewhere else.
- Was going to email my advisor, but then chickened out.
- I wish this Benoit Blanc and Muppets movie existed.
- Eee, “Celebrity Jeopardy!” finale!
- Wordle: In three!
- Currently feeling: It’s kind of annoying not knowing when the repairs need to happen in my bathroom, because planning out hotels and stuff is taking time out of my day, and I need to write this dissertation introduction/conclusion.
- Currently looping: My Chemical Romance’s “Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys.” Seriously, what a great album. And I think “The Last of Us” has me listening to this because it’s a concept album based in a post-apocalyptic type world.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, stay warm, and start watching “The Last of Us”!