Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as can be. Improved on my harsh vocals, caught up with some elementary school friends, and started a deeper dive into outlining chapter three of my dissertation. Daily summaries below!
Day Four Hundred and Eighty-Four (7/9/21)
- Recorded a cover of Florence + the Machine’s “Shake It Out” and posted it. Just me and a guitar. Getting ready for possibly performing it live someday.
- Worked on harsh vocal exercises. Valkyrie Pyro needs to happen, darnit.
- My bestie came over, and we caught up on all of the things.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 15.
- Currently feeling: I have no idea what I’m doing with anything.
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s acoustic live performance of “Green Lights,” which is going to be my jam for the remainder of the summer, thank you very much.
Day Four Hundred and Eighty-Five (7/10/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Am about halfway through season two of “The Wire.”
- Went into the standing frame thinking that I’d catch up on other people’s YouTube videos. Instead, I watched more of “The Wire.”
- Harsh vocal exercises! I think I can get some inkling of grit now? It sounds very unfocused at the moment.
- How many times have I had “Avengers: Endgame” on in the background? It probably doesn’t matter.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 23. I did eventually catch up on them.
- Currently feeling: Er, tired, but what else is new? Day was slow, but busy.
- Currently looping: Live From Here performance of Sarah Jarosz’s “Blue Heron.” I am still very much on my Sarah Jarosz kick and I make no apologies.
Day Four Hundred and Eighty-Six (7/11/21)
- Got (boozy) brunch with two of my elementary school friends! One is married and one is married with a kid. Goodness, we’ve gotten old.
- Two drinks in, I’m suggesting we all get doughnuts.
- Four doughnuts later, we’re watching the beginning of the UEFA finals.
- Forza Italia! If Italy’s in the final, then this half-Italian-American lady is rooting for Italy.
- Bestie phone call!
- Practiced harsh vocals. Then practiced clean vocals. Then nearly two hours flew by. Whoops.
- Total Times Outside: Ninety!
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 11.
- Currently feeling: My elementary school friends and I are thirty now. THIRTY. One of them, I’ve known since first grade. I was six. I’ve known her for 80% of my life. Just, wow. I’m so grateful we’ve been able to stay in touch ❤
- Currently looping: Sia’s “Breathe Me” live performance from SxSW.
Day Four Hundred and Eighty-Seven (7/12/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Watched the latest “Legends of Tomorrow” episode. You already know I loved it.
- Went outside for a matcha latte. Curiously, went down the sidewalk, it was disgusting, went to the matcha place, they were out of oat milk (I’m basic, shush), got macadamia milk, the barista (we’ve never seen each other before) apologized for not having a ramp (which I’m kind of used to by now?) and gave me a free matcha latte, then I went back to my apartment via a different sidewalk that was covered in broken glass. So…I guess it was a balanced trip outside?
- Metal vocals update: I think I can do a false chord scream now. This was not my initial objective (I’m going for gritty belting), but hey, the more things I put in my vocal toolbox, the better.
- THE POLAR BEAR REMAINS KING OF THE DERBY.
- Washed makeup brushes.
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 1. The number should be higher, but I’m feeling a bit tired.
- Total times outside: Ninety-One!
- Currently feeling: Tired. Definitely got distracted by the Home Run Derby, which threw off my schedule a little, but how could I not watch Pete Alonso defend his title?
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “Johnny.” She’s probably going to perform this one at the concert I’m going to, and I’m so excited to hear it live (…eventually!).
Day Four Hundred and Eighty-Eight (7/13/21)
- Probably shouldn’t have had that matcha latte in the late afternoon/early evening. Couldn’t sleep at all. Maybe I got two or three hours in.
- My mother’s here! She brought blueberry pie.
- My bestie joined me for Push to Walk. It’s a long story, but she was there to judge cars. She chose a car, after roasting it for about two minutes.
- Opened my new shower wheelchair (the other one is a couple years old, and it shows).
- Total videos watched by other YouTubers: 0. It’s been a busy day. I’ll watch them tomorrow. Or later this week.
- Total Times Outside: Ninety-Two!
- Currently feeling: So tired. So exhausted from my workout. Mentally preparing to be sore tomorrow.
- Currently looping: Sleigh Bells’ “Riot Rhythm.”
Day Four Hundred and Eighty-Nine (7/14/21)
- Yeah, I didn’t get enough sleep last night either. And I’m sore. And I just don’t feel great.
- A friend stopped by to escape the heat. It’s a scorcher out there.
- Practiced harsh vocals. Later practiced some guitar.
- Watched the “Loki” season finale. Very excited for season two. And for the next “Doctor Strange” movie.
- Have I mentioned how tired I am?
- Had a nervous breakdown. Called my bestie and vented. Sometimes I just need to let words out.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 18. Had to catch up.
- Currently feeling: I’m so tired. So tired. Like, tired to the point where I’m getting a mild anxiety attack because of how tired I am and how I have writer’s block with my dissertation. It’ll sort itself out because it has to. I know it will, and so it shall be.
- Currently looping: Evanescence’s live performance of “Broken Pieces Shine.”
Day Four Hundred and Ninety (7/15/21)
- Did the FES cycle.
- My mother’s here! I showed off my harsh vocal grit belt to her, and she was like, “Your throat doesn’t hurt?” “Nope!” “That’s cool!” #mymotherapprovesofmetal #valkyriepyrorides
- Therapy! Sorted out plenty, and am back at equilibrium (and now with a revitalized approach to my dissertation!).
- Sorted out insurance things more quickly than I normally do. Much like Professor Hulk in “Avengers: Endgame,” I consider this a total win.
- Who’s starting her third chapter’s deep(er) research dive? This one, right here.
- Total videos watched from other YouTubers: 0. This girl’s on a dissertation mission. I’ll catch up later.
- Currently feeling: That feeling when you know you’re going to put in the work to get things done, and that the process is going to be difficult and rewarding. Not just with the dissertation, but with everything. It’s like anticipating a sense of accomplishment that you know is waiting for you. #iamvalkyriehearmebelt
- Currently looping: The Donnas’ cover of Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself.” Such a bop.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, get vaccinated, and stay cool!