Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as can be. This week I watched lots of movies with my mother, spent a lot of time sorting out insurance issues, and finally started planning the dissertation. Daily summaries below!
Day Three Hundred and Nine (1/15/21)
- Why yes, I did have pie for breakfast.
- Medical supply company found another issue with my catheter order, so it’s on hold until I can find a different primary care physician (there was an insurance issue). So this is a fun thing to do in the middle of a pandemic.
- Practiced guitar until my fingertips hurt.
- Therapy! Needed the Kleenex today. Was really in my feelings coming to terms with what my injury may mean in the long term.
- Virtual hangout with another friend from Ed School! I don’t think I’d seen her since April 2019. Dang.
- Currently feeling: I know I keep saying I’m going to buy myself flowers, and I will at some point. For now, I might just get HBO Max.
- Currently looping: Ingrid Michaelson’s “Soldier.”
Day Three Hundred and Ten (1/16/21)
- No pie for breakfast today (although I did have a matcha latte, so that was lovely).
- My mother and I are trying to reorganize my living room so I can add another lamp. It’s just so dark in there.
- Skyped a college friend! It was part catch up and part cooking show, in that I got to watch him bake delicious-looking oatmeal bars. I have the recipe, so I should make some of those soon.
- Watched “Spirited Away” with my mother. Such an awesome film. Then we watched “My Cousin Vinny.”
- Lamp moved! It’s so much brighter in there.
- Currently feeling: I am determined to get work done tomorrow. I’ve got lots to read, and so I am going to read. Gotta tap into that workaholic energy I’ve got on reserve. Workaholism is only concerning if it becomes your lifestyle. Meanwhile, a three-hour work blitz (which is honestly the length of most of my blitzes) followed by a movie is just quarantine work-life balance.
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “Build Me Up From Bones.” I’ve been on such a Sarah Jarosz kick.
Day Three Hundred and Eleven (1/17/21)
- Did reading for a couple of things I have scheduled for Tuesday.
- Had some hot chocolate. It was one of those days.
- Watched “Wonder Woman: 1984” with my mother. We thought it went kind of slowly, and were both glad we didn’t have to see it in theaters. And then we agreed that the mid-credits scene was the best scene of the movie.
- Currently feeling: Last time I took two weeks to post a cover, a subscriber asked me why I had stopped posting videos. Not sure whether to feel flattered or offended.
- Currently looping: Sarah Jarosz’s “Over the Edge.”
Day Three Hundred and Twelve (1/18/21)
- Latin tutoring!
- Assistant Instructor meeting! Guess who’s giving a guest lecture in less than two months? Yup, this terrified graduate student. Right here.
- Music lesson! Working on a cover that won’t go up for a while. Also, I should learn video production. Anyone want to be my videographer? Or, any video camera suggestions?
- Attempted to record some audio, but then, like a fool, I forgot to silence my phone, which rang, and then notified me of eight text messages in a row (I’m in a group chat). Bye bye, audio.
- Currently feeling: Really tired. Maybe I’m just mad at myself because I forgot to silence my phone. Or maybe I’m stressed because I’ve never Zoom taught before. Or taught. I might have nervously scratched my head until I saw blood on one of my nails. Oops. I should have some tea.
- Currently looping: The Cure’s “Friday I’m in Love” live from Glastonbury 2011. Hearing a band perform one of their hits live and hearing them change up the melodies in their own songs always assures me that I can do more with my covers than just playing along to a song’s original arrangement.
Day Three Hundred and Thirteen (1/19/21)
- Zoominar with my advisor, another professor, and a few other grad students. Was asked if I had a dissertation chapter to present at the next zoominar. Admitted that I did not, but that I appreciated being given a deadline.
- Emailed my advisor to set up a meeting to talk about starting my dissertation writing. I had planned to start next fall, but I suppose now is the time.
- So between the dissertation chapter draft and the guest lecture, I suddenly have become rather busy with graduate work. Oh dear.
- Watched the COVID memorial. And then did everything in my power not to cry. This is what it feels like when top government officials acknowledge the horror of four hundred thousand dead Americans.
- Writing workshop! Had a guest visit from my niece via FaceTime. She’s the cutest ^_^ Also, writing buddy told me about Chris Evans possibly coming back for more Captain America work and I literally squeaked with joy.
- Currently feeling: Hi. I’m Val, and I’m a workaholic.
- Currently looping: Regina Spektor’s rendition of “Dear Theodosia” (featuring Ben Folds).
Day Three Hundred and Fourteen (1/20/21)
- Happy Inauguration Day!
- Doctor’s appointment. New primary care physician! I hadn’t had a general checkup in well over a year, so this was needed.
- My mother and I got dumplings afterwards. Mmm…dumplings.
- Watched Inauguration coverage. And then the first of the daily press briefings. Holy cow, a press briefing where the press secretary isn’t insulting members of the media? When did that become a thing?
- Finished Book One of “The Life of Saint Martin of Tours.” There’s so much material here, it’s kind of amazing.
- FaceTimed my sister and niece! My niece wants my mother and I to visit =)
- Total times outside: Forty-five!
- Currently feeling: Hopeful, and then concerned over my hopefulness. But so thankful for what looked like a peaceful transition of power today.
- Currently looping: Missy Higgins’ “Steer.”
Day Three Hundred and Fifteen (1/21/21)
- Sorted out insurance things. #alwayssortingouttheinsurancethings
- Therapy! How to balance teaching, dissertation chapters, and music? By being organized and focused AF. I got this.
- Speaking of which, I spent more time with Gregory of Tours today. And wrote a song in the shower (not about Gregory of Tours; although I won’t rule it out if there’s demand for a Medieval Schoolhouse Rock).
- Currently feeling: Equally excited and terrified of starting my first dissertation chapter. I have a plan, but it’s completely up in the air and might change direction two pages in. I’ll think something’s brilliant until I realize I misremembered something I’ve read and actually, my argument no longer works. And then I have to overhaul the plan and start over. If I’m lucky, the new plan will be more fun and more logical than the first plan. I also have to remind myself not to get too wordy in the footnotes. It’s an adventure.
- Currently looping: Neko Case’s “Star Witness.”
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, wear a mask (there’s a federal mandate for it on federal property now!), and listen to some folk music! It’s super relaxing.