Greetings, Internet! Hope everyone is having a delightful time learning how to become introverts. It takes a bit of practice, but someday you’ll love the great indoors.
Daily entries below, followed by a ukulele cover of “Such Great Heights.” My quarantine covers playlist is growing, and if you feel so inclined, you can watch everything here. I’m hoping to add at least two videos per week to the playlist. Was delighted when someone left a nice comment on a video (and shocked, because I thought I had disabled comments. Whoops).
Day Fifteen (3/27/20)
- Was supposed to see Iliza Schlesinger today with one of the PTW aides. If we can leave our homes by August, perhaps we can see the show then?
- Posted a ukulele cover of “La Vie en Rose” to Facebook. Trying to do things that terrify me is great, except then I do things, and then I feel pure abject terror. Terror about what? I don’t know. No one seems to hate it, and those who do hate it have not made it known to me. So far so good.
- My mother drove here to make sure I’m doing all right/have enough food. I do have enough food, but she cooked more. I have no idea how long this self-isolation is going to last, so I welcome the human company and food.
- Currently feeling: My mother baked a pie tonight, so I’ve got three days’ worth of comfort food ahead of me (for context, she is bringing at least half the pie back with her to Brooklyn. I love pie, but there’s only so much I can handle before I need to order a larger wheelchair). This is the time for comfort food. I imagine three weeks from now will also be the time for comfort food. You know what, now is the time for sweatpants, sweatshirts, hoodies, and bralettes. Except tomorrow I’m definitely going to glam up because I have a hot FaceTime date (and by “hot FaceTime date” I mean, wine FaceTime date with a childhood friend who has FINALLY seen LOTR).
- Currently looping: Ingrid Michaelson’s “Young and in Love” (I know, I’m late to this album/song, but the point is I’m here now and this is SO CATCHY)
Day Sixteen (3/28/20)
- I played my ukulele videos for my mother, a woman who is notoriously impossible to impress. Her comment: “You need to sing louder.” Noted.
- Did the FES cycle.
- Had a night of wine and FaceTime with one of my besties from elementary school. I am still drunk as I type this, which means that it was probably a fun night that I will remember in weirdly specific detail in the morning.
- Currently feeling: Drunk. Very drunk. I might have consumed half a bottle of wine, or more than half. I don’t know, I couldn’t reach my wine glasses, so I drank out of a mug. I know, I’m so classy.
- Currently looping: Sara Bareilles’ “Beautiful Girl,” because it’s just her and a ukulele. I’m on a ukulele kick and I will not apologize for what results from said kick.
Day Seventeen (3/29/20)
- Checked my phone to see that yes, I did send a couple of trashy drunk texts last night. Thankfully, they were sent to my elementary school bestie.
- Felt productive. Did an hour of reading followed by an hour of ukulele. So excited to attempt a Broadway showtune at some point soon.
- Trying to get more into non-academic writing. Forgotten how much I’ve missed it.
- Learned that I can finish a bottle of wine in two days, but that I will also be sloppy both nights. Quarantine life?
- Ben Gibbard finished his last livestream of this quarantine period. Goodbye, charming and delightful nightly concert. I suppose I’ll just have to focus on my dissertation or up my ukulele game.
- Currently feeling: A friend mentioned that liquor stores are considered “essential.” I’m starting to see why that is. One bottle of rosé in, and I’m like, “Yeah, this isn’t so bad.” Even though I already thought it wasn’t so bad. I mean, everything happening in NYC is terrible and awful, and I’m so worried about the world ending. But right now I’m buzzed and feeling like everything will work out because it has to. Gosh, what ridiculous optimism. [Side note added on 4/3: Liquor stores in Pennsylvania are closed. Sorry, Pennsylvanians]
- Currently looping: “Elisa’s Theme” from The Shape of Water. Continues to be my go-to for rainy days.
Day Eighteen (3/30/20)
- Did the FES cycle.
- I owe a major thank you to the people who post the chords to ukulele songs on the internet. Truly, I could not learn songs without this vital resource.
- Speaking of which, I decided to make my Quarantine covers public and into a YouTube playlist, so, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an7D0uFICdU&list=PLfR_1v7fYfBnUoTisTGBS0B4GXA7kID7O&index=2&t=0s
- Skyped with my advisor. Looks like April is going to be the month of primary sources. Where art thou, Gregory of Tours?
- Skyped with a friend I hadn’t seen since last July. We were supposed to go to brunch last weekend and catch up. That clearly did not happen. But, we shall get brunch once it is safe to get brunch again (provided that the brunch place will be open).
- Currently feeling: In theory, we have a month more of social distancing to go, but I highly doubt April 30th will be the last day of self-isolation. Of course, I hope I’m wrong, because I’m starting to think I might develop agoraphobia if I actually don’t leave my apartment for the next month straight.
- Currently looping: Halestorm’s “Mayhem”
Day Nineteen (3/31/20)
- Happy International Hug a Medievalist Day! Gosh, I miss real hugs.
- Videochatted with a friend for three hours. She’s currently quarantining herself in a basement in Long Island. We were planning to get work done, but then got no work done. We’ll try again later this week.
- FaceTimed my sister. She showed me videos of my niece from earlier in the day. She is the cutest baby on the planet, and I will not apologize for this opinion.
- Recorded the ukulele cover of the week (which will be posted below!).
- Currently feeling: Oh gosh, how did my sleep schedule come to this? It’s almost 2am. The ukulele is an addiction, I tells you!
- Currently looping: Amy Lee’s cover of “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” – did she turn a happy dance song and turn it into a sad ballad? Yes. Am I here for it? Absolutely.
Day Twenty (4/1/20)
- Happy April Fool’s Day! We’re all fools here.
- Did the FES cycle.
- Work skyped a friend. Attempted to learn how to use a historical database and failed miserably. This is going to be fun.
- Currently feeling: Perhaps tonight is the night I go to bed before 1am! Maybe? Maybe.
- Currently looping: Muse’s “Supermassive Black Hole.” I was feeling nostalgic.
Day Twenty-One (4/2/20)
- I was supposed to go to an Ali Wong show with my sister tonight. But that’s not happening anymore. Alas.
- Made the mistake of going to bed last night in a long-sleeved t-shirt instead of a sweater. Felt too cold to fall asleep, and spent at least an hour trying to warm up. Lesson learned: just wear sweaters until summer.
- Virtually worked with a friend today on our respective projects. Am I still reading secondary sources because I’m afraid to dive into the behemoth that is the corpus of Gregory of Tours? Yes, yes I am.
- Currently feeling: It’s been three weeks of being indoors. For me, this is too early to get cabin fever. Regularly video chatting people has been super helpful in making sure I don’t feel lonely, which I think was the thing that was really missing when I was housebound during my pre-college gap year.
- Currently looping: Sara Bareilles’ “She Used to Be Mine,” because I posted a ukulele cover of it on YouTube. No one requested it. I just love that song so much.