Greetings, Internet! I hope everyone’s staying as safe and sane as possible. The dissertation is moving along slowly, I’m learning how to grade assignments, and I turned thirty! Daily summaries below!
Day Three Hundred and Forty-Four (2/19/21)
- Finally uploaded the mini lecture to the course site (after spending another hour fixing it this morning), and it has been professor-approved. Now to work on other things for this course!
- Wrote about 800 more words of my dissertation chapter. In my defense, I was translating a decent amount of Latin.
- Finished season six of “Clone Wars”! Spent a little time trying out my new guitar. Then went right back to dissertation things. I have no idea when I’m going to have time to record anything.
- Currently feeling: Guys, writing a dissertation chapter is hard. I’d almost forgotten how disorienting it is to stare at a word document, know what the plan is, and be like, “But wait, IS that the plan?” Also, I did not realize that this chapter was going to be so heavy on Benedictine rule. Seriously, what is the plan?
- Currently playing: Feist’s “Mushaboom.”
Day Three Hundred and Forty-Five (2/20/21)
- Did the FES cycle. Am two episodes away from finishing “Clone Wars.”
- Did some reading for next week’s set of lectures. Just one more article to go.
- Got an idea for my dissertation that will require more research. Anyone else feel like they do all this prep work for a chapter, and then spend the chapter just writing and researching new material as they go? Definitely will need to let my advisor know that this chapter is going to be a bit late.
- Writing workshop! I forgot to drink, and didn’t realize I had forgotten until about two hours in. Whoops.
- Currently feeling: It’s the last day of my 20s! Within the past decade, I started my degree-collecting journey. One BA, MPhil, Ed.M., and MA later, I’m in the endgame now with my dissertation (well, okay, I’m more in the Phase 2 section of the dissertation if I’m thinking in MCU terms). I’ve often felt like a mess, but I think that’s normal for your 20s. But also I think that your 30s are an underrated decade, so I’m excited.
- Currently looping: Beyoncé’s “Countdown.”
Day Three Hundred and Forty-Six (2/21/21)
- As a thirty-year-old, I now consider myself an elder millennial. Meaning, I am entering what I am calling my rockstar decade. Because rockstars have that “I’m impressive enough that I don’t need to impress you” energy.
- Finished this week’s reading for my course.
- My parents came over for lunch and cupcakes! Yes, my mother baked the cupcakes.
- Finished “Clone Wars.” I cried during the series finale. Just, it broke me. The series did an infinitely better job of showing Anakin Skywalker’s descent to the Dark Side than the prequels did. It’s not even close.
- Started “WandaVision.” It’s pretty good!
- I finally got to do some recording with Lupin! I’m so overwhelmed with guitar effect choices in my DAW, but I think she sounds pretty. Like, so pretty. And she didn’t slide off my leg, so yay!
- Currently feeling: I’m thirty! Holy cow! Am I an adult now? Also, receiving lots of texts and FB posts from friends made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Thanks, guys, I love you 3000 ❤
- Currently looping: Daryl Hall and John Oates’ “You Make My Dreams Come True.”
Day Three Hundred and Forty-Seven (2/22/21)
- Did the FES cycle.
- I’m almost caught up on “WandaVision.” There’s a predictable twist coming because “Binge Mode” described the (most likely) comic storyline behind the show, and I think they’re right. Also Twitter spoiled something for me (that’s what I get for using Twitter to see which news items are most popular for the day.)
- Music lesson! Learning more about different electric guitar settings in my DAW.
- My #triotime friends sent me birthday flowers! They’re beautiful ❤
- Teaching meeting! If my students ask, we haven’t written the midterm yet.
- Recorded the vocals for a possible cover. If I have time, I’ll add a flute part, but that’s a big if.
- Currently feeling: What’s that? I have eleventy billion things to do this week? Of course, I do! I’ll have to send an email to my advisor later this week to tell him that I miscalculated how long this chapter was going to take (also I’m spending way more time on Carolingian monastic reform than I initially thought I would).
- Currently looping: Lindsey Stirling’s “The Arena.”
Day Three Hundred and Forty-Eight (2/23/21)
- All caught up with “WandaVision.” Yup, “Binge Mode” kind of ruined the twist, but it was still so delightful when it happened. Also, I know that “Clone Wars” messed me up, because now when I rewatch “Rogue One,” I start crying towards the end when Vader shows up.
- Recorded some flute for the next cover! We’ll see if the acoustic and electric guitars work with the flute.
- Work Skype with a fellow grad student friend! I graded some assignments.
- Precept! My students were clearly not as enthused about the “maximalist” and “minimalist” interpretations with regard to the Justinianic Plague. Perhaps I should’ve mentioned that I’ve worked for a “maximalist” and am now teaching for a “minimalist,” so things are awkward for me now.
- Audio mixing!
- Currently feeling: That feeling when you know certain students could’ve done better on their assignments, and you have to give them a lower grade even though you really don’t want to. Sigh.
- Currently looping: The Pretty Reckless’ “Mad Love.”
Day Three Hundred and Forty-Nine (2/24/21)
- Did the FES cycle.
- My mother’s here!
- Uploaded some grades. Then set up my guitar stand. Lupin looks really pretty just chilling there.
- Precept! They seem to have all done the reading, so yay.
- Done audio mixing! I don’t think I’ll be able to record the video portion until the weekend.
- Currently feeling: I no longer feel a sense of impending dread as I start my precepts! That only took, what, a month? That said, I now feel a sense of impending dread as a grade. Is someone going to argue that their B+ should be an A-? Or their A- should be an A? Should I preface this with, “I assure you, I’m a kinder grader than the professor”?
- Currently looping: Taylor Swift’s SNL performance of “Lover.”
Day Three Hundred and Fifty (2/25/21)
- More grade uploading! Had to fix a few things (hey, I’m new to this). May the students who get B+s understand why they got the grades they got. And may I have the patience to answer the emails of those who are pissed with the grades I gave them.
- My uncle sent some treats from Taiwan! Oh pineapple cookies, how I have missed thee!
- Okay, this weekend is the weekend I will really get to work on my dissertation.
- Almost halfway through season one of “Star Wars: Rebels.” I’m really digging it so far.
- Currently feeling: I can’t believe we’re already about a third of the way into the semester! Feels like it just started.
- Currently looping: A capella cover of Sia’s “Cheap Thrills” from the “Pitch Perfect 3” soundtrack.
Thanks so much for reading! Stay safe, wear a mask, and don’t spoil “WandaVision” for the rest of the internet!